E.L. Morrison (1876-1943) spent his early career working in a local lumber business in his hometown of Concord. In 1922, he hung out his own shingle on Corban Avenue and found success. Known as a quiet, dependable, thrifty man, he navigated the great Depression and built a foundation for the family business.
Ed was followed by his sons Ed Jr. (1903-2003) and John (1912-2006), both of whom enjoyed the business late into life. Ed excelled building stairs, railings, mantels and other millwork and could be found in the shop into his 80s. Much of his intricate work is still visible around town and his investments in tools and equipment are still evident today in our shop. John had a knack for identifying potential in people and he built a loyal employee base and helped to seed many successful careers and businesses among customers. Success was quantified by friendships and progress for the employees, customers and county.
John’s sons, John Jr. and Hugh, joined the business in the 1960s and 70s and would spend their careers there. During their tenure, locations were added, the wholesale window and door business grown and the wholesale engineered lumber business was begun. Through divestiture and in response to changing markets, the business gravitated in two directions and Hugh and John divided their interest in 2006.
John took the traditional building supply business and employed his second son, Knox. The Great Recession handicapped the industry but also presented new opportunities and John’s first son Harris entered as a consultative partner, bringing his real estate and finance expertise. The Gypsum business was re implemented under new leadership, Masonry fueled by new experienced personnel, Millwork reorganized and energized and Engineered Wood buttressed.
Headquartered today in it’s original location on Corban Avenue, Morrison Brothers is lead by the fourth generation. Sound advice, quality material and efficient delivery are as valuable in 2018 as they were in 1922... and the fifth generation is preparing.